Monday, May 31, 2010

Tribute to Hip Hop




One of the assignments in my senior year English class was to define a great work of fiction, and I remember writing it should have something compelling to say about the human condition but should also be an interesting story. The reason is that no matter how profound and original a theme may be (and some themes are better than others), it cannot hit the reader in the heart unless the plot, characterization, and stylistic techniques make it accessible - and worth caring about at all. I think defining great hip hop music is more or less the same. There is the lyrical content (theme), and then the different elements that comprise its presentation (words, flow, delivery, production). The analogy loses some traction here because our ear is naturally better at picking up the way things sound rather than what the sounds mean. How do I know this? When Lil Wayne's "Every Girl" starts playing at the club, get a head count of the girls who leave the dance floor in disgust. None, you say? Not even at the chorus? It happens at Harvard, too. I will always remember the mob of girls at Kid Cudi's performance shouting proudly in unison, "Poke her face!" Our great leaders of the feminist movement are turning in their graves.

Anyway, I have taken some time to look through my favorite hip hop tracks, seeing whether they fit my definition of great hip hop. Some don't, and the ones that do could be better. My reason for liking and disliking a particular track isn't always sufficiently good, either. But who am I to act like a connoisseur of fine hip hop when I have never rapped (more on that later). With no further ado, I present my 20 favorite hip hop tracks of all time, my tribute to a music that has accompanied me in the best and worst of times and a life mentor that has taught me to be brutally honest, appreciative of change and diversity, and proud of who I am. Thank you, hip hop, for helping shape the Min Lee state of mind.

20. Asheru and Blue Black- Theme Music



The two MC's compare themselves to Don Juan and Don Genaro, the two Indian shamans made famous by author Carlos Castaneda. Castaneda alleges to have met these figures who mentored him in an unconventional lifestyle obtaining higher truths using uh, interesting external aid. Anyway, song has a nice Gabriel Marquez vibe. Third verse is horrible.

19. Snoop Dogg- The Next Episode



Have you ever had a sudden urge to buy a bazooka and shoot zombies? What about a sudden urge to hop out of your car and refer to strangers by that word that should never be uttered by non African Americans? Too much swagger in this song for one man and his right hand. Should be considered an adjunct therapy for treating depression.

18. Chali 2NA- Righteous Way



Heartfelt, personal song about parenthood. Makes me try harder to respect my parents.

17. K-OS feat. Fashawn- Sunday Morning



Liquor and shallow relationships can't buy lasting happiness. Song somehow captures the loss of control we feel when we rely on these to compensate.

16. Ice Cube- Today Was a Good Day



Not the most upbeat instrumental considering the title but it's appropriate for the song as a whole. Make sure to give a good day the credit it deserves. Great video with a Kobe cameo.

15. K'naan- Take a Minute



Still not a big fan of K'naan but I dig his humble attitude and optimism here.

14. J-Live- School's In



A tribute to my first black friend who introduced me to underground hip hop. I still remember walking into the Amoeba Store in Hollywood and listening to his scholarly analyses of underground artists down each aisle. That day he picked up an album by J-Live and let me listen to it. Ridiculous flow in this song.

13. Lupe Fiasco- Sunshine



There are surprisingly many hip hop songs about falling in love with strangers. "Sagaba" by Blue Scholars and "Woman With the Tattooed Hands" by Atmosphere, for instance. I think love at first sight is really just projecting our ideal visions of the significant other onto an attractive person and falling in love with those visions but I guess you have to start somewhere. Also, finding love at a club is probably easier if your name is Lupe Fiasco.

12. Murs- 18 w/a Bullet Remix



"You gotta learn your sound and love your voice, go with what you feel, don't regret your choice."

11. Nas- The World is Yours



You can make the argument that Nas's lyrical content is not as deep as Common's or Kweli's but it is a terrible mistake to compare Nas to today's mainstream artists with crappy lyrical content. Because even though themes of sex, drugs, violence, and personal success abound in Nas's music, he sounds a lot cooler than anyone else who talks about them. Kid Cudi says he is on the pursuit of happiness; he doesn't care, his hand on the wheel, driving drunk, doing his thang. Instead, Nas sips the Dom P, watching Gandhi till he's charged, and then writes in his book of rhymes, throbbing like that understandable smooth shit that murderers move with. Drake says he's swimming in money and the listener should come and find him like Nemo. Meanwhile, Nas is profiling wild, stash through the flock wools, burning dollars to light his stove, walking the blocks with a bop, checking Danes plus the games people play, busting the problems of the world today. See the difference?

10. Black Star- Thieves in the Night



Black Star at its best, calling out all that is fake and delusional. Mos Def's verse is probably one of the best standalone verses of all time.

9. Brother Ali- Babygirl



Ali changed things up a bit with his new album, going with a less aggressive and more preachy feel, and the reception has been mixed. I personally like it, and this song shows his storytelling ability remains intact.

8. Common- Love Is



Common broke up with Serena Williams something like two weeks ago. I'm not too worried.

7. Cunninlynguists- The Park



A phrase often used to talk about works of literature describing regional lifestyles and cultures or written in regional dialect is local colour. This song about a peaceful day at the park has a lot of that.

6. Nujabes- Aruarian Dance



My favorite producer ever. He has done collaborations with rappers like Shing02, Cise Starr, and even Pete Rock, but no words are needed when instrumentals are this good. Aruarian Dance is just one of his many tracks to help the restless and tired soul get through the day. R.I.P Nujabes.

5. Kid Headphones feat. Lax Tha Rippa- Live, Learn, and Grow



All the credits go to my resident adviser at summer COSMOS program for introducing this song to me. I have not heard another song featuring either artist but this is a classic. We live, learn, and grow.

4. Metermaids- Think About It



This track has indie written all over it. I think I like it because the idea of living in a one bedroom apartment with a significant other and having a job that I enjoy really appeals to me. What else could you want?!

3. Talib Kweli feat. Hi-Tek - Memories Live



Life is hard but once we get through the tough times and allow ourselves to reminisce, their sharp edges have worn off. And then there are those positive memories that gleam brighter than they should. Taking the time to remember is good.

2. Common- I Used to Love H.E.R.



I changed some of the lyrics around and "rapped" the first verse in front of my AP US History class to ask a girl to junior prom. The title of my blog comes from the chorus. Yeah, I like this song a lot. I know it's about hip hop but there is just something about the phrase, "I used to love her." When you've loved a girl, you know you loved her and no one can take away that truth from you.

1. Cunninlynguists- Hourglass



A lyrical masterpiece.

1 comment:

raghav said...

ahhh, I'm happy that you included k'naan. take a minute is a great song. I've been listening to Troubadour non-stop for the past week or so. I really like his style :)